The rising cost of fuel presents a significant challenge for motor vehicle owners. To save on fuel expenses, consider implementing the following tips:
- Minimize unnecessary load: Avoid overloading your car with luggage and items you don’t need. Extra weight increases fuel consumption, so clear your boot of unnecessary items.
- Use air conditioning wisely: Contrary to popular belief, using the air conditioner can be more fuel-efficient than driving with windows down at high speeds, causing wind resistance. Maintain a speed limit of 80 km/hr or below when using the air conditioner.
- Optimize highway driving: Avoid driving very fast or too slow on highways. Cruising at around 50 to 90 km/hr provides optimal fuel economy. Driving at 100 km/hr can increase fuel consumption by up to 15%, and 110 km/hr can lead to a 25% increase.
- Be mindful of acceleration: Avoid revving the accelerator to high revolutions per minute, as it consumes more fuel. Opt for steady acceleration and consider using cruise control in automatic cars or maintaining a higher gear in manual cars for fuel efficiency.
- Maintain proper tire inflation: Ensure your car’s tires are properly inflated, as under-inflated tires can reduce fuel efficiency by up to 9-10% due to increased rolling resistance.
- Avoid hard acceleration and excessive idling: When starting from a complete stop or climbing hills, avoid hard acceleration, as it can increase fuel consumption. Additionally, don’t leave the engine running idle for more than three minutes; turn off the engine if not moving.
- Regular car servicing: Keep your car properly maintained with regular servicing to ensure it runs efficiently. Poorly maintained vehicles may develop sludge and corrosion, leading to reduced engine efficiency.
By implementing these fuel-saving strategies, you can make the most of the fuel you have and reduce your overall fuel expenses. While Nigeria is yet to fully embrace green mobility with electric vehicles, these measures can help vehicle owners cope with the current fuel situation.